We love ourselves too often and need reach out much more often. It is a social responsibility and it effects the environment also.
“It started there. I didn’t expect it to leave the page.”A quiet chuckle moved through the room. Mr. Santos, the Union City commissioner, leaned forward. “Sometimes the best ideas begin as stories,” he said. I didn’t tell them the rest — not yet. That the blog was where I worked out the things I couldn’t say in meetings. That I had written the piece because I was tired of watching California talk to itself through the same handful of loud voices. That I had chosen “Brother” deliberately, because the softer, more accepted term had always felt like packaging.For now I simply answered their questions. Logistics. Precedents. Possible objections from larger cities that might feel passed over.Later that night I sat in my car outside my parents’ house in Union City, the same street I had grown up on. My laptop was open on the passenger seat. The cursor blinked in a new draft.The fiction was no longer entirely fiction.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment